Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Recipe: BBQ Taters- Just in time for the Trade Game tomorrow

This is for all U tradeaholics who just love the Trade game. On WEd. I look forward to playing but the first game is at 5pm the time I start Dinner, so I make sure I've got a delicious dinner going in my crockpot so when I'm done, dinner's done:)

This week it's BBQ Taters with Homemade BBQ sauce, this sauce is so easy you'll never buy bottled again. I make the sauce the day before while making dinner for that night.
What is a BBQ tater? It's a bake potato topped with great BBQ....it's so delicious! I had these at a fair last year and fell in love with them.

Homemade BBQ sauce:
2- 15oz cans tomato sauce
1 1/2 tea. Garlic Powder
1 1/2 tea. Onion Powder
2 T. Liquid Smoke
1/2 tea. salt
1/2 c Brown sugar
2 1/2 T. Vinegar(I use white)
1/2 tea. Mustard powder
1 tea. honey

Pour tomato sauce into pot. Whisk in each ingredient one at a time or you'll get lumps. Put on med.-high heat and bring to a low boil. Stir constantly. After it comes to a boil remove from heat and cool. This allow the flavors to come together. Put into a sealed container unless using right away.

Meat:
Okay differnt people love differnt meats for bbq so use what you like; chicken, pork or beef. You can cook all three in a crockpot using the same method.

Add meat to crockpot, I add a little garlic and onion to my meat, then just cover meat with water. If you are going to let this cook all day do it on low. When you get home or after meat is done, drain broth. Save broth for another use. Debone meat if you need to. Add bbq sauce and allow to cook 1 hour longer on high. If you need faster than an hour after adding BBQ sauce then cook in pot on stove top. You will need to stir this alot so it doesn't stick. You want the sauce to thicken up a little on the meat.

Potatoes:
I bake my potatoes wrapped in foil for 2 hours. If you don't have this kind of time you can microwave your potatoes for 5-10 mins. Don't forget to pierce potatoes when putting them in the microwave or they can explode and make a potato mess all over the microwave. Then you can bake the potatoes for 45 mins to give them that baked flavor. If you are in a really big hurry just microwave them til done. That takes about 10 mins for small and med potatoes and 15 for large ones. Test by pushing a fork into them. If it's really easy thier done, if not then cook longer.

When everything is ready; Place potato on plate and open up. Top with a little dab of butter, let melt. Top with BBQ and then what ever else you like; Cheese, Jalepenos, Sour Cream, More BBQ sauce, onions, or tomatoes.

1 comment:

brightonEarly said...

oh my gosh. I am SO hungry now!